Sunday, October 5, 2014

WEEK 58....Service!!!!

Hello to you all!!! Well, I'm here again emailing and another week has passed. Time is just flying by!

Well, this week was mostly spent gaining trust with the members. We didn't have as many lessons as we usually do, but we worked hard every day and did a lot of service, so it was still time well spent :)

So I don't have much time today, but I just wanted to talk about a few of the big things that happened this week.

One day we had a HUGE service project at an elementary school with all the evacuees. These people had to evacuate their houses about a month ago because the Mayon is active. They are in the "danger zone" and live 6 kilometers away from the Mayon, so they ALL evacuated here. And I'm talking VILLAGES of whole families there staying in an elementary school. So, we were asked by our District President to go share some spiritual upliftment and play some games with them. Okay, this was the funnest project ever. They were SO grateful for us there and it felt so awesome. We played games with them and watched a movie about Christ. I even met the COOLEST little mute boy. He was the best and I felt so bad because all the little kids were making fun of him because he looks like he is just waving his hands around all the time. But, I started talking to him and found out that he can understand the things I say, and he responds by using little simple jesters since he doesn't know sign language. Hahaha so we became BFFS and I got him to go up to all the Elders there and tell them that they were smelly. We were laughing so hard. I'll send some pictures too. It was the best.

Another highlight of the week was the baptism of Fritzie! Which was also on her birthday. So it was a good day to say the least. Sister Lesa and I and the Llanera family, who were the reason she started coming to church, all sang at her baptism. By sang I mean we tried to sing as we all cried. The Spirit was so strong and I could just feel that Heavenly Father was so so happy for her and the decision she made. It was also awesome because she invited lots of her friends that aren't members and the room was super full!!! She is such a good example to me of being a missionary no matter what. Earlier, we also played basketball at the church, and she brought her whole family who aren't members! Oh man, I just love that girl.

Some other service we did:
-we helped our less active make 200 bags of popcorn!
-we washed clothes for a family of 5 by hand...no surprise there haha
-we cleaned the house of our investigators
-we swept a whole dirt yard for like an hour

Well, this week as every other, I have gained a stronger testimony of service. I know what the Lord says to us is true in Doctrine and Covenants 42:29, "If thou lovest me thou shalt serve me and keep all my commandments." He doesn't make service a commandment because He wants us to have a hard life and be forced to give everything to others, but He does it for us to simply show our love for Him.

One thing I've learned on my mission is that by losing myself in this great work, that's when I've really found myself. By doing my best to be completely focused on the people I get to serve, I have felt like the one who has really benefited. I have learned more than I ever imagined and have grown more in ways I never expected. As I have and will continue to love this work and these people, I feel like I have been the one that has felt the most love. Ah, being a missionary is just so great.

I came across the COOLEST scripture this morning that is one of my new favorites. It's found in 1 Corinthians 2:9. It says:
"But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him."  
AH. I could just reread that and reread that. Our Heavenly Father is just so great. I know that He has a plan for us. And with our human bodies, we can't BEGIN to understand what great things He has in store for us. He has prepared so much for us. So in my scriptures by this verse I wrote the question, "what am I doing to be worthy of His plan for me?" May we all ask ourselves that question and really ponder it. Heavenly Father is just the best.

I know prayer is real. It works and our Heavenly Father is ever so mindful of us. I know He is just waiting for us to rely upon Him and trust Him in all that we do. This life may not always be easy, but He is with us every step of the way. He will never lead us.

I know that the scriptures are true. READ THEM! They bring me so much comfort in my life and I have found answers in them countless times.

This week we were also able to finally watch the Women's Broadcast. Guys it was so great so WATCH IT RIGHT NOW. I will write some of the things I liked from it here...
>Heavenly Father not only knows what is best for us, but He is anxiously waiting for us to choose what is best for us.
>God is always raining down blessings, but our sins, doubts, and fears sometimes act as umbrellas. Are we stopping blessings from reaching us?
>commandments = eternal truths. the world changes, but they don't change
>the why of obedience: love of God and fellow men, if we don't obey and serve this way, we miss out on the HEART of discipleship
>WE are HIS. And we forever will be. This brings us purpose in this life.
>Where much is required, much MORE is given.
>If you want to give your light to others, you have to glow yourself.

Well there's so much more I wish I could share, but my time is running short. 

I love you all and I am SO grateful for you all in my life.

Kapayapaan at mga biyaya (peace and blessings),
Nagmamahal,
Sister Reategui

pictures:
baptism of Fritzie! and after party for her birthday!!!



this week we had zone training.....
zone training with the batchmates!

 Ligao zone!


 sister sorenson aka the tallest sister ever!


buko!!! fresh coconut!!! we contacted a referral and then the man just said "you sisters want some coconut?" haha then climbed a coconut tree and then got some for us! i love the pines hahaha.

sister sorenson spent the night at our house! remember her from the MTC? hehe love her. we made smores!!!

service with the evacuees!!!
we asked them "Who loves Jesus Christ?" They all got so excited and raised their hands hahaha.
they love pictures. hahaha



 
my mute friend!!!

 our investigators at church!!! they even wore dresses!!! hahaha if you knew them, it's a big deal.



earlier at basketball with Fritzie and her siblings!!


No comments:

Post a Comment