Sunday, September 29, 2013

WEEK 5: GUYS I HAVE BEEN HERE A FULL MONTH TODAY! YES. IT'S REAL LIFE.

GUYS. REAL LIFE IT'S MY PDAY AGAIN AND I AM HERE EMAILING YOU ALL! One month has passed since I became a missionary and honestly it has been the greatest and hardest month of my life!!! MISSIONS ARE INCREDIBLE. THIS GOSPEL IS INCREDIBLE!! This week has been a crazy and very stressful week but it has also been so so great. I am obsessed with all things Filipino. And all things missionary work.

Okay, so Saturday after I emailed, we went to the Temple which is always great. Then we had TRC! TRC is so awesome. We taught 2 lessons, one to the same guy as last week, and one to a couple, the guy served in the Philippines and he brought his girlfriend who doesn't speak Tagalog but is Filipino. TRC is fun because you get to practice getting to know people in Tagalog because we don't get much practice with that but it's pretty important! Saturday ended well with our weekly service project of setting up the chairs for the next day's devotionals.

Okay, this week's Sunday was kinda super crazy! So, we went to Relief Society and everything just like normal. Relief Society was so awesome. Jean A Stevens from the Primary General Presidency spoke to us about Christ and how we as missionaries get the unique opportunity to bring many souls unto Him. Something she said in her talk that really struck me was, "This gospel blesses lives not just when we believe it, but when we live it. Send the message that we believe it as you live it." It is SO TRUE! As a missionary, I really need to show everyone I meet all I believe in just by the way I act and live. After that, during lunch, Sister Roroa said she was sick and having a hard time breathing. So I sat with her and talked about what was wrong because she was having a hard time expressing herself and how she was feeling in English. Long story short, they ended up taking her to the ER and I got to go with her! And through talking with her, I realized that the reason she didn't want to tell the doctors anything was because she thought they would send her back to Kitibati. When we walked in to the hospital, she looked at me and just said "See you in the next life Sister." Hahahaha she cracks me up. And I am happy to report they found out what she needed and is feeling a lot better now. Crazy day but I was glad I could help out a little! Later on in the week, my family sent Sister Roroa a package, which was good for her to cheer her up! So family, you guys are awesome and she cried when she was reading the letters. When we went to pick up the package, she screamed "My first package ever!!! The church IS true!!!" Hahahahaha have I told you all that I love her? Because I love her!!!!! Not only because she calls me Princess of Arizona. Hahaha

Okay, the rest of the week was crazy as well! Monday the older districts left, which is always sad but exciting at the same time. We are officially the oldest "generation" here which is insane but so awesome. Tagalog is still hard but it is coming with a lot of hard work. I feel like I am at the point where I can't really speak Tagalog or English. Seriously every time I try to speak English, it comes out backwards or the way it would in Tagalog. Hahaha it's so great. On Monday, we had the best lesson ever with our most difficult investigator Fernando. He is the one that is like 53, divorced, and feels like he has no purpose in life because he's been through a lot of hard things. He literally told us he only invited us in because we looked nice. So, we were teaching him and I thought of this scripture to share. So I had him read out loud Moroni 7:41, which says "And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the Atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." And he almost started crying!!! I just looked at him and asked him how it made him feel and he said "that is a good verse. I have had similar questions and now they are answered." OKAY I WANTED TO JUMP UP AND SCREAM! Seriously. Yes he is fake but he is so real to us!!! Then, I bore my testimony that it is true, that there is so much hope through the Atonement and through Jesus Christ!!! I was just so excited. And so then he was just sitting there so I asked him if he understood and he said back "Yes, now I can understand everything you are saying. At first I didn't really understand or care but now your messages are really really good. I know now that Christ is hope and it is a good feeling." GUYS. I REALLY COULD HAVE SCREAMED IN THE MOMENT. I was so excited I almost cried!!! Ah. The Spirit is so amazing and through it lives can be changed!!! Even if it is a fake investigator. Hahaha. We had another lesson with him yesterday and it went so well. Have I ever mentioned how grateful I am for the Spirit? Seriously it is amazing to see as a missionary. I know none of these words are mine and it is so awesome to see the Spirit work through me and through my investigators. So, in our lesson yesterday we decided to sing him I Need Thee Every Hour in Tagalog and he loved it. I don't know why we never did that before because the Spirit was so strong and it was awesome. Then, My kasama shared her testimony about the song and how true it is. She shared about how through afflictions, He is always there for us. She is so great and brings the Spirit everytime she testifies! Then I thought of the scripture in Mosiah 24:13-14, and focused on verse 14 which says "And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit people in their afflictions." OKAY I AM SO GRATEFUL FOR THE SCRIPTURES!!! This verse is amazing and so applicable to Fernando. I asked him if he understood, and he said YES!! He explained that he now knows that he isn't just talking to the ceiling when he prays, he knows that God is there looking out for him. Best moment.

So, on Tuesday, we got moved to West Campus! Kind of weird because it is apartments right by all the college housing here at BYU but it is a fun place to live! Well, Tuesday was kind of super crazy with the move and all. But once we got situated, we had a lesson with Genella. She is our 16 year old investigator that is just so ready for baptism!! This week she came to church and just loved it so much. Then, in our lesson, she asked if she can bring her friend because she is interested too. So golden! I wanted to ask her about baptism but didn't know how and was so mad at myself. Haha so right after, I memorized the baptismal commitment in Tagalog so we are so ready to go for the next lesson with her. I will keep you all posted!! 

The rest of the week was pretty much the same. But, on Thrusday WE GOT OUR FLIGHT PLANS!!!! Really it's gone by so fast. We leave on Monday the 7th, so it's coming up super super fast!!!! 9 DAYS YAY! Ah I am just so grateful for all of my experiences already and can't believe it's just beginning. I know that through His help, we can do all things!! I have really realized during this crazy adventure of mine that during hard times and trials, I learn and GROW the most! The Lord has been with me every step of the way and has brought me so much comfort. I love this gospel and can't wait to share it with the people of the Philippines in just 9 DAYS!!!!!! 

Oh, also we are on our way to Salt Lake in about an hour to sing at the Relief Society Broadcast tonight! So you can all watch me on TV because I'm sure you all miss me so much. I will be the one singing all the wrong notes and breathing at all the wrong times so it should be easy to spot me. Also, I am wearing a dark green shirt. So look out for me!! 

Ah I just love you all. Life is so great. Being a missionary is SO great!!! 

MAHAL KITA,
--Sister Reategui
We got our flight plans to the Philippines!

It's getting cold here in Provo!

Me and my companion

I saw Elder Niver in the MTC!

No comments:

Post a Comment